Formula E unlikely to race on Auckland waterfront in 2019 - Stuff.co.nz
Stuff.co.nz - Tue 8 Jan 06:33 GMT

Formula E unlikely to race on Auckland waterfront in 2019 - Stuff.co.nz

Cold water on ASB Classic maestro's latest endeavour – Auckland looks unlikely to get a Formula E race n 2019.

  The brakes have been pumped on ASB Classic maestro Karl Budge's latest endeavour – Auckland looks unlikely to get a Formula E race on its waterfront in 2019.

  READ MORE: * Auckland in danger of missing out on Formula E race * Ports of Auckland 'considering' hosting first New Zealand-based E-Prix * Ports of Auckland sale could be back on the agenda * $1.8b Auckland stadium plan on shaky ground as council pours cold water on funding plea "The timing for hosting an event here in 2019 is unlikely to work," ATEED destination general manager Steve Armitage told Stuff in a statement.

  In announcing the hosting rights in 2018, Cotton said UK-based sports research company SMG had produced a report estimating Formula E could generate $150 million for Auckland yearly.

  Late last year, in a statement to Stuff, Ports of Auckland (POAL) said it had been in discussions with the consortium about holding the annual race.

  "Ports of Auckland supports the idea of holding Formula E in Auckland and is considering the use of port land for the event, but nothing has been confirmed yet."